[pygame] pygame and the indie world today

Im getting back into pygame after a little while. I've got some game
ideas that I'm really looking forward to developing into prototypes.

Question for you guys. Where do you think pygame sits in comparison to
other indie development game technoligies like Unity or Unreal
Development Kit? There has been so much activity in the indie game
world lately and new resources brought in. Is pygame still relevant?

For me, I still like writing code as opposed to using an interface
like Unity. As far as UDK is concerned, it seems like all the
creativity there is in the art and creatives. Which is great, but I
don't want to run another Unreal game... I want to experiment with the
interface a bit.

Is anybody working on a FPS framework in pygame? Or would that be
redundant with these other technologies?

Anyhow... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.