[pygame] Accounting for Pressed Keys

Hi everyone,
I'm closer to solving my arrow key problem with regard to getting pyHook to
snag the arrow keys first. I've blocked the four arrow keys, and I've used
the block to put a KEYDOWN event on the Pygame queue. The problem, though,
is that now Pygame receives a key down event several times a second.
My goal in all of this is to try to figure out how Pygame accounts for
pressed keys. Does Pygame have a special event for pressed keys that I could
generate, or does it get its data elsewhere.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
All the best,
Ryan