[pygame] windows tga loading problems?

Hello, I've just joined this list, although I've been using pygame for some
time now, it is a fantastic library!

I have one problem at present,

under windows (I use pygame under both windows and linux) and version 1.55 I
cannot seem to load .tga images with pygame.image.load('test.tga') - the same
image seems to work under linux (last time I checked anyway), and works with
1.53, am I missing something here?
even if I load a png image and save is as tga I cannot then load it back in as
tga:

ie:
image=pygame.image.load('test.png')
pygame.image.save(image,'test.tga')
image2=pygame.image.load('test.tga')

fails on the third line.

Can anyone help me out here? unfortunately I'm forced to use tga images in
this application (they are being consumed by a library that can only read tga
for images with alpha content, which I require).

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartw@kcbbs.gen.nz