Re: [pygame] problem in pygame.mixer (undefined symbol)

sylvain dufour wrote:
Yesterday I tried to build SDL & pygame on my linux box, everything went fine but when I ran my mp3 player script, I got "undefined symbol: ov_open" (see below for full traceback)
I guess "ov" stands for Ogg Vorbis, but I built SDL_mixer with Ogg support (at least I checked the configure script & it's enabled) and I have all related dependencies...
this confuses me a lot, if anybody has any idea I'd be really thankful...
that is strange. the 'configure' script for SDL_mixer should detect if ogg support is good and compile with or without it. i know for ogg support you need a few libraries, libogg, libvorbis, and libvorbisfile.

[sylvain@localhost Documents]$ python mp3PlaYer.py
mp3PlaYer.py:95: RuntimeWarning: use mixer: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pygame/mixer.so: undefined symbol: ov_open
raise NotImplementedError, MissingPygameModule
NotImplementedError: mixer module not available
this is all happening from pygame's __init__ script. pygame has several "optional" modules and if they are missing pygame sets them to 'dummy' values. if they are 'important' modules you get a warning right away, if not it will wait until you try to "use" the module. this is the problem you are getting here.

in any event it is strange, it looks like the SDL_mixer.so isn't working correctly. i'd first try to test with a regular C SDL program that uses SDL_mixer (it should have come with a few test/sample programs if you build from source)