[pygame] Advice on Game Engine

This summer I want to make a simple RPG in which you build a colony of around 100 people and take groups of 10 out on "missions" to harvest resources and explore the world. What engine should I use with Python?

I'm thinking of timed turn-based gameplay -- N seconds per turn to give your orders. For graphics: large 2D graphical tiles representing buildings and outdoor areas, with (non-animated?) sprites on them for characters and points of interest. If you've seen "Unlimited Saga" (see for instance <http://www.squareuniverse.net/ulsaga.html>), I'm going for a similar look. So the technical requirements aren't high.

Is there a good reason to use OpenGL with Pygame? If so, what's a good way to draw menus and buttons in that mode? Would it be better to just use Pygame itself?

Thanks for any advice.

Kris