Re: [pygame] Font height

On 5/10/06, Mike Wyatt <mwyatt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's not really my problem.  I'm talking about the extra spacing added above and below the font when it is rendered.  Take a look at the attached screenshot.  I render the text "Xj()~'" in the upper-left corner at position (0,0), with a height of 24.  The text is drawn 54 pixels in height, but font.size() returns (46,35), resulting in my font being drawn 9 pixels below the desired positon.  Drawing a larger font results in the font being drawn even lower

Here are some other results:

Desired size[1] True Pixel
8 6 12
16 14 23
20 19 29
32 29 45
35 33 50
60 55 85
100 93 140
200 185 280
Desired = Height value passed to Font constructor
size[1] = height value in tuple returned by font.size()
True Pixel = True height of the rendered font in pixels

The true pixel sizes seem predictable at least, they seem to be desired height * 1.4 rounded up... So I would guess there is some kind of (fairly) simple model that makes sense...

Could you send the font you are getting the numbers for that table with? and maybe send a small sample showing the problem?