[pygame] pygame for basic nintendo NES games

Here is the whole story. I wanted to start developing small, basic, 2D nintendo NES style games,
like a basic mario 1 game or a horizontal shooter game. I only have basic php/sql skill so my
programming skills are very limited. I was looking for a language where I can dive in, like how
with php you can dive into web development, compared to other languages like perl where it covers
all areas, not just the web. I dont really want to learn a language that covers all areas, mainly
just gaming, the closest I came to was LUA, and thats not working out since its multimedia
libraries arent that great for BSD. So I wanted to ask everybody here, would Python and Pygame be
my best choice? My goal is to be able to make a game on FreeBSD and be able to easily have it run
on other OS' such as linux distros and Windows and other BSDs. I am guessing since python is
interpreted, and pygame is available on many other OS', I shouldnt have to change the code. So
here are my questions to sum it up.

1. If pygame/python is my best choice, should I pick up a python book, read it all, and then start
looking at pygame? I ask this because of my php knowledge on how I easily it was to dive in, and
how php is mainly for the web and not other areas. Where other languages, they cover all areas and
its not that easy to dive in from my understanding.

2. If I make the game for freebsd, and I want to release it for other OS' will I have to change
the code?

3. How active in pygame? The game libs and frameworks for lua seem to lack or die easily because
the author loses interest, such as luax, gia and freya.. I was hoping that pygame would not die
out so easily, if I was go with it.

4. Any tips/advice?

Thanks, and please keep in mind I am new to programming. Thanks!

http://www.boringdays.com