Re: [pygame] Niss

Regarding Panda3D: How is it "scary"? I downloaded it as my next engine to
toy with, but haven't got around to installing it yet.

The "Hello World" video on their site (not the "greeting card" demo) was creepy. A more serious problem is that it just doesn't look very good. There's not much point in making the effort to go 3D unless you can make it look nice.

Oh, see also the tutorials at http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/ . Especially its Chapter 5, "Demystifying the Greats," which looks into Secret of Mana's sequel, Seiken Densetsu 3.

Perhaps you should also look into Soya3d?

Soya3D looked interesting. I'm intimidated by the long list of requirements, and don't even know which I really need -- do I have SDL installed already thanks to Pygame? There's also still the problem of getting 3D character models with animation. But I'll look into it.

http://www.kennethfejer.dk/isocity/ - a strange gallery of galleries of pixel art, laid out as an isometric city.

Regarding the tiles at http://telestatic.net/tiles.html , these look nice, but note that you need all those annoying corner pieces too -- 8 of them at least for a transition between two materials. I was thinking about an automatic blending routine that'd eliminate the need for corners. Would need to have certain materials not blend, though.

Right now I've got multiple tile layers (64x64): a base layer for terrain, linked to an XML file that says "this is 'water,' and any character who looks at it sees color (0,63,192) or something." Atop that is a decoration layer meant for the human's benefit, and consisting of things like shoreline pieces. Also there are invisible layers such an obstruction layer.

I don't know whether this is the best approach. I need some way of painting the map with both graphical data that looks decent, and

Kris