Re: [pygame] Cross-References

Ethan Glasser-Camp wrote:
Patrick Mullen wrote:
When I was working on a platformer, my first big project in pygame
(currently on hold, go figure) I definately designed it from an
engine/framework standpoint rather than from a game standpoint.  I was
building this awesome huge thing that would make it "easy" to make
whatever kind of game I wanted.  But I accomplished more during that
week of pygame than I ever did with the platformer.

I've had this problem before too. Could you elaborate on what differences you practiced in your development strategies? For instance, you still had to write an engine for your actual working game. What drove the development of your engine? Did you find that focusing on "the game" was less fun or less like coding than developing an engine? Is that good or bad? Etc.

Ethan

This is a little-discussed area of programming, that I find interesting, too. I've been a programmer for many years, and have done projects all sorts of ways - structured, object oriented, 'fly by the seat of your pants', etc.

What I do nowadays, is this: When figuring out how to break things down, I pretend I'm 12 months in the future working on a different problem, and forgot all about what I'm doing now. All I remember is the 'big picture' of what I did, not the details. Now - what should I call this function, or how should I separate this code? The best name or breakdown that comes to mind, is the one I'll use.

When push comes to shove, the best programming methodology is the one that fits your mindset. I like to leave singletons in modules, and use classes for the main, most common game object - but I don't use them exclusively. Too many classes can cause problems, just as not using a class when it's called for.

If you twisted my arm and made me program either all WITH classes or all WITHOUT classes, I'd do without classes. I'm a data-driven sort of gal, and structured programming fits my internal mindset best.

--Kamilche