Re: [pygame] Two questions regarding a simple space shooter

Two comments:

1) Instead of:
  if event.key == K_LEFT:
 it may be better to do:
keymap = [K_LEFT, K_RIGHT, K_SPACE] # Put this in initialization

for event in pygame.event.get():
   if event.type == KEYDOWN:
       if event.key == keymap[0]: # Left
           ship.changeSpeed(-1)
       if event.key == keymap[1]: # Right
            ship.changeSpeed(+1)

You could also change keymap to a Dictionary.  Anyway, this lets you pretty easily remap the keys, which I think is a good standard to support.

2)  Instead of just changing speed, I actually use a function startUp, startDown, startLeft, startRight, as there may be occasions where I'll need to do things like set the current animation loop, call other functions, etc. and I want to hide this functionality in my class, or maybe overload it at runtime.

Looking forward to seeing your successful project,

--
Andrew Ulysses Baker
"failrate"