[pygame] Fixed aspect ratio scaling

Hi,

Does anyone know about a good solution on the stretching problem when
running in fullscreen mode on a widescreen monitor?

For windows users having an nvidia driver it's possible to set "Fixed
aspect ratio scaling" as an option for the display causing the
widescreen to have black borders at the sides.

But are there any platform independent solutions to this?

I guess it might be possible to solve this using code, creating a
correct sized display and then blitt the game screen to it's centered.

But this (I guess) can cause some performance loss. And I don't know if
it's even possible to detect the best screen resolution to use.
As far as I know there are no way to determine the current screen
resolution (to calculate the monitors aspect ratio) of the system?

Any inputs?

Thanks
/John