Re: [pygame] C file pointers and file loading

Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Brian Fisher wrote:
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:renesd@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Or maybe we should build python with the correct runtime?  ;)
It sure would make it easier to use the supplied SDL and python rather
    than compiling our own.

Practically speaking, there is no such thing as a "supplied SDL" on windows. In particular SDL is never installed to a shared location on windows, and is highly unlikely to ever work that way in the future, so pygame will always need to bring an SDL build to a place where it can load it from on Windows. And that's the reason why it would make perfect sense to build our own SDL, with the right (i.e. matching) runtime.

...there are prebuilt SDL's for VC6 and VC2005, and being able to use prebuilts from libsdl.org <http://libsdl.org> would be nice cause then more people could build pygame on windows easier, and also possibly test with other SDL versions - however there may end up being a VC2008 prebuilt sdl too.

... but dang, why oh why is python picking just the crappy Visual Studio releases to build with...

... I don't disagree that not having a runtime matching problem would be nice, but I do think it's a problem with an existing solution.
Linking against msvcr90.dll is not the problem. Building with the configure/make tools using msvcr90.dll is. I posted on comp.lang.python and got a reply. It has given me an idea. It isn't exactly pretty, but it may do what we want.

I have built an SDL.dll that looks for msvcr90.dll . It can be found, along with a test program at:

http://www3.telus.net/len_l/pygame/

md5sum:

f5b71d9934d35c35a24b668ad8023146 *VC-2008-Run-Time-test.zip

It has no manifest though. I have notified the Python developers at comp.lang.python. It is now their problem.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>