[pygame] GSoC: Vision Processing and Webcam Support in Pygame

Hello all,
I'm participating in Google Summer of Code with One Laptop Per Child,
and my project is to write a computer vision library that works on the
OLPC XO.  I plan on doing this by incorporating webcam support and
some vision functions into Pygame.

In the next few days, I will start writing a v4l2 interface that
initializes a v4l2 camera and loads a frame of video as a surfarray.
This will basically be a python wrapper around something like
http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/video4linux/API/V4L2_API/spec/capture-example.html

The next step will be writing vision functions.  At minimum, I would
like to do thresholding, colorspace conversion, histograms,
convolution, and centroids of connected components.  Basically, things
that would be useful for gaming purposes.  It would also be useful to
have some kind of motion detection using multiple surfarrays and an
algorithm like the Lucas-Kanade method.  Most things past that, like
Haar feature detection for face detection, may be getting too heavy
for inclusion in Pygame.

Any suggestions, questions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nirav Patel