Re: [pygame] vector type: mutable or immutable

On, Mon May 04, 2009, Lorenz Quack wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think this discussion got a little bit out of hand.
> I probably shouldn't have posted those numbers.
> I would like to get this thread back on track.
> But after that I shortly want to answer the questions from Gregor's last mail
> and append the relevant sctions of my code.
>
> so here we go "mutable or immutable":
>
> So if I may try to summarize:
>
> mutable:
> ========
>   * Stuart Axon: mainly consistency with rects
>   * René Dudfield: personally uses list more often than tuples
>   * Casey Duncan: consistency with rects and performance concerns
>
> immutable:
> ==========
>   * Brian Fisher: immutable prevent subtle bugs
>   * Marcus von Appen: no reason given
>   * Gregor Lingl: should behave more like numbers than like list
>   * Lorenz Quack: personally thinks the presented argument for immutable are
> stronger
>
> So would anyone have strong objections if we go with immutable?
> Vectors would then behave more like a mix of floats and tuples :)

Independent from your timings, I'm for cases, where speed is necessary
and a concern, as a math library needs to be fast (otherwise it's mostly
useless). As immutable/mutable mostly affects +=, -=, ..., and batch
operations, we can clearly mark those (within the code) and change them
later on, if necessary, I think.

Regards
Marcus