[pygame] pygame 1.9 in 3-4 weeks

hello,

I'm hoping we can release pygame1.9 in 3-4 weeks. Which means that there's about 1 week to get any last minute changes in. If they are new features, we will require docs/example, and tests... and it's probably too late to add any big features with an API larger than a function or two(unless the API has been discussed on the mailing list already).

The pygame1.9release is timed this way, so that we can get a release out around the time the GSOC coding period officially starts. The GSOC students can be involved in a release, and we can devote more time to their new projects after the release is out(amongst other things). We should also have a good version ready for before python3.1 is released... whose release schedule says it is to be released in 6-7 weeks (June 27th).

There are a number of things that need doing...
- bugs that need attention(search the mailing list for BUG, or look at the bug tracker),
- a whole bunch of unittests that could be written(all the functions that need tests are marked todo in the test/*.py files),
- documentation fixes (from the doc comments).
- the WHATSNEW file needs updating.  By looking at the svn commit logs and creating updating the file
- making sure proper credit is given to people who've sent in patches... (in readme files etc)

I'd like to finally finish off the pygame.midi stuff (docs and tests)... and after that start getting into the stuff above.

As usual... we'll be using the release process from the file: docs/howto_release_pygame.txt

I've pasted it in below.  We are at the first point "declare next release as coming soon to developers, and mailing list."

If you'd like to test the latest pygame1.9 pre-release, please see:
This page for windows and mac binaries: http://thorbrian.com/pygame/builds.php

Or for compilation, follow these links:
Compilation: Windows MingW gcc on windows MacOSX Ubuntu Suse Red Hat Python CE

Try and run your game with it, and report back any issues!

cheers!

== release steps ==

*  declare next release as coming soon to developers, and mailing list.
*  declare feature freeze.
*  check with people on different platforms that tests are working.
*  ask platform people to sign off for their platform building, and testing ok.
*  WHATSNEW document is updated, with any changes.
*  declare tar ball set, by making a branch in svn with the pygame version as rc1.  eg 1.7.1rc1
   - files to change version string: lib/version.py setup.py readme.html readme.txt
   - This is the subversion command used:  svn copy svn://seul.org/svn/pygame/trunk svn://seul.org/svn/pygame/tags/release_1_8_0rc1 -m "new 1.8.0rc1 release."
*  second round of testing goes on the new release branch.  If any changes need to be made, all platforms need to be tested again and signed off.  The pygame rc version is incremented and a new rc tar ball is released.  eg 1.7.1rc2.
*  if no changes needed to be made to the rc release, then the version is changed.  eg from 1.7.1rc1 to 1.7.1release
*  release person uploads final sources tarball to website.
*  documentation is remade, and uploaded to website, not before sources.
*  release binaries, not before sources.
*  announce to the mailing list, and the world that a new pygame is released.
*  the version of pygame is incremented by 1 and pre appended.  eg 1.7.1 goes to 1.7.2pre