Re: [pygame] file mods and svn props for executables

On, Tue May 12, 2009, James Paige wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:58:02PM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
> > On, Tue May 12, 2009, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was looking at the Pygame examples in linux and noted that many have
> > > the '#!/usr/bin/env python' tag line but are not marked as executable
> > > either by SVN or linux. Is there a convention for this?
> >
> > Never mark anything executable in SVN repositories. The
>
> Why? svn supports marking files as executable, and I can't see any
> disadvantage.

Other vcs do not (so well) and if people start marking something
executable, it tends to spread (e.g. repocopying some files and
accidentally keeping the executable bit, etc.).

So to my experience it does more harm than it serves.

> The executable bit will be gracefully ignored on windows.
>
> >   #!/...
> >
> > line is usually dealt with correctly by env(), which in turn is executed
> > correctly by bourne-compatible shells.
>
> Not unless the executable bit is set.

  sh myfoo.py

works just great, even without the executable bit (as supposed by bourne
shells).

Regards
Marcus