Re: [pygame] GSoC 2010: A New Draw Module

Hi Julian,

A great idea. If the new module implements all the functionality of the current modules, then for backwards compatibility the draw module, or something like it, can be implemented in Python on top the new module. So the new module should have a different name. Though I ported the gfxdraw module from pygame2 into pygame, I have shied away from doing any enhancements since my only graphics course was taught by an electrical engineer, with an emphasis on hardware and an embedded graphics language for Fortran the engineer had written (this was some time ago). So I'm glad to see someone else take on the job. Be aware though, someone will request anti-aliased circles with line thickness greater than one. Oh, and Cairo is considered too slow, so wrapping it won't do.

Lenard

jug wrote:
Hello!

I'm going to write a new draw module for pygame and pygame2 as part of
GSoC this year. The aim is to have one draw module for pygame that
implements not only the very basic drawing of a few plain color shapes but
also drawing of more advanced shapes and whith more advanced attributes
(ie. curves, rounded corners, aa, etc.) as well as alternative filling methods (ie. procedural or image based textures, filling from another surface/image
(cloning), etc.). Unlike now the code will be object oriented thus you'll
need to create a (pen) object before using it to draw stuff. That is to to keep code clean and structured and avoid functions with (terribly) long parameter lists. However, I plan to add some shortcuts for basic functionality (and maybe
compatibility).

I'm still thinking about concepts and have some more vague ideas in mind so
if you have any ideas or suggestions please tell me :)

While development I'll blog about any progress at

Even though I've got svn access to the pygame repo (thank you, rene) I also
have a (currently still empty) hg repo with wiki and issue tracker at
http://bitbucket.org/schlangen/pygamedraw

Regards,
Julian