Re: [pygame] Resolution for a 2d game

On 16.05.11 17:37, James Paige wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 07:25:02AM -0400, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>>
>>> Please don't force a fullscreen resolution. It doesn't restore properly on
>>> dual-head setups.
>>
>> Agreed. Even on single screens it often repositions other running apps'
>> windows. A real nuisance.
>
> Another big advantage of NOT automatically forcing forcing fullscreen,
> is that it makes it very easy for you as the developer to test various
> resolutions that are smaller than your desktop size.

I never said he should *force* fullscreen. I usually just bind switching
to fullscreen mode to F11, but if you want to get fancy, make an option
menu and an option whether to start in fullscreen mode or not.

Christopher Arndt schrieb:
>> Just make your game fullscreen and choose a fixed resolution that
>> will fit on the smallest supported monitor.
> On 15.05.11 19:47, BIAGINI wrote:
> So my game will run in 640*480... I m not sure to understand. I really
> want to make my game is an higher resolution than 640*480.

The important word here is *supported*. You decide which is the smallest
screen size you want to support. If you decide to leave out users with
only a 640*460 screen (even smart phones have a higher resolution today)
out in the rain, it's your choice.

Besides, the smaller the screen surface, the faster your game graphics
are potentially. I personally think that 800*600 is a good compromise
between enough resolution and compatibility/speed.

Chris