Re: [pygame] GUI

> Incidently, Alexander Pipelka, the ParaGUI guy, recently posted to the
> SDL list asking for help with a python binding to his project. Is
> anyone working with him?

i finally got a chance to look into paragui. my first impression is
that cooperation between pygame and paragui will be very difficult.
the python binding for paragui is using SWIG to generate the wrapper.

the problem is, it looks like paragui actually hides a lot of
SDL. instead of making SDL-ish calls, it uses a more standard GUI
classes like an "App" object. the paragui mainloop is started through
the app.run() function. This would make interaction between paragui
and any other library very difficult.

code is like this... (rough rough representation :])

import paragui
app = paragui.CreateApp()
app.InitDisplay(xxx)
create_all_my_widgets(app)
app.run()

i've not looked to deeply at paragui, so i'm likely missing something
very important. my hope would be that there some friendly way for paragui
and pygame to share the event queue and drawing management. but i didn't
see anything like that in the quick examples and docs browsing.

i think a nice simple GUI module is a high importance, but currently
lower priority. i'd love to help someone working on something, but i've
got a few other loose ends to be wrapping up before i start really looking
at things. i even think two gui modules wouldn't be out of the question.
one aimed at super-simple buttons ane menus, and another one that
was a more full-fledged UI library.