[pygame] performance issues, etc

Hi all, just been on the list for a couple days.

First of all let me start by saying thank you to Mr. Shinners for this
wonderful library.

OK, I've got some performance questions that I wasn't able to find
answers to in the docs. If the answers are there please just give me a
little slap and point me towards them and I'll be happy.

pygame.display.update()
When I call update() and pass it a list of rects, does update() check
to see if any of the rects overlap or contain each other, etc? For
instance, if I pass it ((0, 0, 20, 20), (0, 0, 10, 10)) does it update
the first rect area and then the second or does it realize that the
second area is already being updated? If it does not sort through the
rects in this manner, is the overhead added by updating some areas
twice likely to be greater than the overhead added by me sorting
through the rects before calling update()?

Thanks for any help!

Mike Benfield