Re: [pygame] Psychadelic Effects

Timothy Downs wrote:

> I have been attempting to add psychadelic effects to the recently
> released PyDDR, and have been having some problems.
>
> Can anyone advice me on the best (ie in performance and/or
> simplicity) ways to add effects such as making the screen glow
> on and off, and flash, and so forth.
>
> I have attempted to use the palette, but cannot seem to change
> palette entry 0, which seems to be the background color.

these types of things are definitely possible, but you won't be able to
do everything you can easily do with C code. start with these resources
from the tutorials and pygame code repository..

palette cycling animation:
http://www.pygame.org/pcr/submissions/04192001a.html

surfarray/numeric intro:
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/SurfarrayIntro.html

animated flame with surfarray:
http://www.pygame.org/pcr/submissions/04032001c.html

animated mandelbrot with surfarray:
http://www.pygame.org/pcr/submissions/04202001a.html

you could also take something like the stars example that comes with
python and modify it into a sort of particle system. perhaps look at the
vgrade example too if you want to see more of surfarray.