[pygame] unhelpful error message "open /dev/sequencer: No such device"

pygame.init() was failing on this debian linux machine with the error message:

open /dev/sequencer: No such device

So I spent some time learning how to get a /dev/sequencer, which is
the non-obvious

modprobe snd-seq

However, making a /dev/sequencer did not make my problem go away.  Making
sure that I was in group audio and could access the device did not make
the problem go away.  It turned out that I also needed to

modprobe snd-seq-midi-event

before things started working.

----
modprobe -l | grep send-seq

will give you a list of all sequence devices that could be needed in order
to get pygame to work.  remember to echo  whatever you need >> /etc/modules
so they will come up for you the next time you reboot and you won't have to
do this all over again.

Posted in the hopes that this will save somebody else a lot of work in
the future,

Laura Creighton