[pygame] Using sprites versus simple surfaces

Hi all

General question about using sprites in Pygame: Whats the big thing of sprites in Pygame? To be honest I didnt use Pygame's sprite functions yet, but except creating groups I dont see many more great features to make my programming life easier than just using surfaces. If sprites move are around I also have to care about the background refresh, as far as I understand the functions. A simple collision detection can also be done by checking overlapping rectangles. So whats the big thing of using sprites?

Greetings
Farai