Re: [pygame] I'm getting BSOD while using PyGame.

On Nov 10, 2007 1:30 PM, Jake b <ninmonkeys@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> for rendering. But running it, caused my computer to get a Blue Screen Of
> Death.

Blue Screen of Death on Windows XP means an error in kernel mode,
always, no exception. No pygame or python module ships a driver or
kernel mode component that I'm aware of. What this means is that the
only way running a particular python + pygame project could cause a
blue screen is by it making a call that makes a driver go do
something, and it's the driver that crashes. For a game, this almost
always means the video card driver - some other options would be sound
card driver, virus protection program, bad memory, network driver.
It's almost definitely video card, but if you look at the blue screen
before rebooting, you can often find the name of the driver that is
faulting and then be sure about which component it is (look for
<drivername>.sys near the top after "The problem seems to be caused by
the following file" or on the very last line after a few asterixes)

As far as what pygame thing could be triggering the driver to crash -
are you making your surfaces with the HWSURFACE flag? Are you using
OpenGL? If so, try not using either of those, it might turn into a
segfault or a normal error. Are you playing music or sounds? Turn that
off and test. Also, it's possible pygame stuff is only triggering
things by being a busy and active game. If the problem is heat or bad
memory related, desktop use may never trigger it. Do other games give
a Blue Screen?