Re: [pygame] I'm getting BSOD while using PyGame.

The source is at: http://www.newmech.com/pics/ZombieHunt_v0.2-BSOD.zip

> If you want more feedback, post more code ( from the non numeric
> version, to keep it easy)
> Cheers
>
> claxo

I attached the source of the version that always crashes on one
computer, but never on the other. ( So maybe it's a driver issue? But
I can get SDL on this computer working fine if I use c++ ( + libSDL ).
And most games run fine. ( They sometimes crash, but they don't do a
BSOD, they do a regular segfault/crash that the system stays intact.
I've also been updating my graphics and bios drivers incase, but that
didn't help. )

If there's something wrong with the way i'm init-ing video, or
blitting, that could be the problem, I would think it's in
ZombieHunt.py or Map.py. The other files don't do much, and I've used
those 3 in other programs.

ZombieHunt.py : initializes video, main game loop.
Map.py : stores Array2D() of the map, and blits tiles. ( using static
tile ID to rule out the .get() function causing problems )

fps.py : renders FPS to screen.
Helpers.py : only has the load_image() function from the official tutorial
Array2D.py : haven't updated with your changes yet, but it works.

On Nov 10, 2007 8:34 PM, claxo <clazzt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2007 at 15:30, Jake b wrote:
>
> > I've started on a very basic game, right now all it does is blit
> > tiles to the screen. I used a NumPy tutorial to create a 2D array to
> > store tileID's for rendering. But running it, caused my computer to
> > get a Blue Screen Of Death.
> >
> > The code was "x = ones( ( 3, 4 ) )"
> >
> > I was surprised because I was running my game in windowed mode, if I
> > called blit() witih an invalid value, or accessed an array out of
> > bounds, I thought it would at worst crash to desktop. I have also
> > tried the game Snowballz, ( it uses PyGame ) So my first guess was
> > that it was NumPy that did it.
> >
> > I removed NumPy, creating my own basic 2D array class that seems to
> > be working correctly stand-alone. I started to place it into my tile
> > code, and I got the BSOD again. Now I know it's not NumPy. The wierd
> > thing is even when it crashes, it seems to render the tileset at
> > least once. Sometimes it had been running for a few seconds ( at 60
> > renders per second ), but once it was the very first render that
> > crashed.
>
> A BSOD is strange.
> Checking basics:
> Are you sure your alternative code has loaded ? I mean, if you run
> from the cmd prompt, by example
> >c:\python24\python.exe myprog.py
> all modules are reloaded, but if you are runing from inside an IDE
> maybe you need to restart the IDE.
>
> Make sure the dir and files have standart attribs, ie no ReadOnly ,
> no Hide, etc. I remember a time when editing in IDE and running  from
> command line ,when IDLE writes the sources but the interpreter keeps
> Just in case try deleting the .pyc before run the alternate (non
> Numpy) code.

I'm using SciTE, and running from a console. To check I wrote a script
to delete all of the *.pyc files, then run "c:\python25\python.exe" It
didn't fix anything.

None of the files are readonly, system, hidden, etc.

--
Jake