Re: [pygame] Licensing Issues...

>> Yes, you're right. I thought the Library GPL was essentially an "older
>> version" of the Lesser GPL which is why I was just saying LGPL. I could be
>> wrong, but I always understood they were equivalent for the purposes I care
>> about anyways (I think the Library one is actually less restrictive than the
>> Lesser one)
>>
>> The clause of the Library GPL that is the important one in terms of
>> linking with proprietary stuff is 5:
>> "A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but
>> is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is
>> called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a
>> derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of
>> this License."
>
> Ah yes... I tripped over that remark as well... Any idea as to what the
> specific sentence means? That it is outside the scope of the license? Does
> that mean something even more liberal, as in "do as you please"?

It basically means that if your software just uses the library as a
library then it is NOT a derivative work, i.e. a work derived from the
original, and as such will not need to abide by the license conditions
concerning derivitive works.  A derivitive work uses, or has at some
point used and since evolved, actual source code from the library
itself.

Regards,
Wayne Koorts
http://www.wkoorts.com