Re: [pygame] installing Pygame for Mac OS X standard Python

On Nov 28, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Joe Strout wrote:

But the Mac binary installer at <http://www.pygame.org/ download.shtml>, as advertised, refuses to install in this environment, claiming it needs "System Python" (by which I think it means a custom Python installation rather than the standard one).

Should I follow the compile instructions at <http://pygame.org/wiki/MacCompile > to get a pygame that works with my system?

Answering my own question, to some extent, I tried following these instructions, and all was fine until the very end, where the "sudo python setup.py install" produced:

Installed /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/pygame-1.8.0rc3-py2.5- macosx-10.5-i386.egg
Processing dependencies for pygame==1.8.0rc3
Searching for pygame==1.8.0rc3
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pygame/
Couldn't find index page for 'pygame' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/Pygame/
Reading http://www.pygame.org/
Reading http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml
No local packages or download links found for pygame==1.8.0rc3
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pygame==1.8.0rc3')

There seem to be two errors here, the "Couldn't find index page" one and then the last one, which apparently was fatal, as no further output appeared after that.

Anybody have a clue what these errors mean, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,
- Joe