Re: [pygame] ANIS-C / ISO C90 compliance

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Lorenz Quack <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi pygame developers,
>
> I noticed that there are some non ISO C90 compliant pieces of code
> in trunk - namely some C++ comments // (two slashes). CPython itself
> claims to be ISO C90 compliant. Is there a pygame guideline which
> C standard we want to target?
> On a similar note: Which Python version do we support? I saw that
> there is a python2.4 buildbot but nothing below that. Can I assume
> from that, that python2.3 and earlier are *not* officially supported
> by pygame?
>
> yours
> //Lorenz

hi Lorenz,

yeah, python 2.4 is the minimum officially.

However I got a lot of it working with python2.3 just before the last
release... and even some with python 2.2 works.

// slashes should be removed if possible.

yeah, c89 (ISO C90) if possible.  Since msvc doesn't support (most)
c99 stuff for example.  You can test with the --std=c89 flag with gcc.

We started a page to try and list a bunch of the development notes/tips...
    http://pygame.org/wiki/hacking

However the hacking guide is far from complete... but feel free to add
things as you learn anything... or encounter anything not written in
there, or have some other useful tips to share :)

cheers!