Re: [pygame] man oh man Java is painful

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/11/11 04:31, Ian Mallett wrote:
C++ is a pain to learn, but it's definitely worth it.  In my
opinion it's the best compiled language.

I'm afraid I can't share your opinion of C++. I liked it myself
at first, but after 10 years or so of experience I came to
the conclusion that it goes to extreme lengths to solve a
problem you shouldn't be having in the first place.

My opinion now is that if what you're doing is too big to do
easily in plain C, you should be using a language that provides
you with properly isolated high-level abstractions -- such
as Python, for example. :-)
Oh definitely.  I just think that if you're going to go with a compiled language, a good general purpose one is C++.  If I want to hack something up quickly, I'll use Python.  I contend that good design is definitely possible with C++ (in a way that it often isn't with C), but that yes, it can take a while to get right.

However, I often tell students that, although having an elegant, structured design is desirable--being so simple as to require only a basic one is better.  For projects of most practical scopes (like a simple game or utility), you don't need anything too involved.

Ian