Re: [pygame] [Pygame] Tileset Animation

Howdy. I'd like to add to the decent suggestions.

If all you want to do is animate a sprite from a tile sheet, you can use the Spritesheet recipe. It might be useful as is, or you can tailor it to your needs. While you're there, be sure to check out the pygame cookbook to fill up your bag of tricks.

In addition to the resources mentioned for working with Tiled map files, there is my favorite pytmxloader which comes with a very robust pygame demo.

If you care to study a great example of a map scrolling technique, I always recommend Retro Game Library. I call this a great example because it is a complete yet simple game framework, making it exceptionally instructional.

The following few projects use Tiled, pytmxloader with pygame to great effect: three pyweek competitions, a pyweek warmup, and the tile scrolling engine Gummworld 2. I imagine there are more out there. Projects such as these may offer a potential for higher learning.

Finally, you might get more ideas and suggestions on IRC freenode.net#pygame. Just ask your question and give it some time. Folks there tend to stay logged in so they can catch up on chat once in a while. Long periods of silence are not uncommon. They are not ignoring you, just sleeping or gaming or watching TV, or doing things that are certainly better left unknown. :)

Gumm

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Radomir Dopieralski <pygame@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM, yannisv <yannisvezakis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello! Allow me first to apologize if this post is a duplicate, apparently my
> first one was not accepted and I just subscribed. Now, I've been trying to
> make a 2D RPG but I'm stuck. I cannot figure out how to properly use
> tilesets, and I cannot find any useful or beginner-friendly tutorials.
>
> First of all, I have the tileset of my main character. I want to slice the
> image into tiles and use them for my character's movement. Up, down, right,
> left.
>
> Secondly, how can I use a "map" I made with Tiled Map Editor with pygame? I
> simply exported my map as an image file, but I guess if it was imported in
> the code as tiles, with scenery and object layers, it would be easier to add
> things like collision detection etc.

I ran a tutorial on that topic this year, the first part is recorded
and the sources are available.
https://ep2012.europython.eu/conference/talks/hands-on-with-pygame

(I will be running an improved version of that tutorial in March on
PyCon.US, *if* they accept it)

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl