Re: [pygame] speed

On Monday 01 October 2001 23:40, you wrote:
> The profiler lists my animation drawing functions as the main culprits, so
> I don't think it has too much to do with poor code elsewhere.
>
> Does anyone have advice on getting some significant speed
> improvements?  I'd expect python to be slower, but not by this much.  I'm
> really worried that my time has been wasted because if
> the game isn't playable there's not much I can do but head back to C++.

hello matt. curious that pygame is running so much slower than your original
code. was the C++ version you had written done with SDL, or with a native
graphics library? it sounds like where you are at, pygame should run very
closely to a C version written with SDL.

what platform are you using? and what speed is your CPU? due to the way SDL
sets up it's display, getting around 30fps is not unusual. Unless you can get
a hardware display surface, and then the speed goes up dramatically.

i'd be happy to look over your code and see if i can spot anything.