Re: [pygame] Some more comments.

Arturo Espinosa Aldama wrote:

> I think pygame is very interesting as a development platform, but I have
> only tested it for half a day and I've already got two bugs. I hope it
> keeps getting better.

all the drawing stuff is fairly new to pygame. for the most part they
work, but as we can see, they're not quite 100% yet. i'll try to find
out why we see that line on the edge.

as for the lockup, it happens for me too, so it should be a bit easier
to debug. i'm not sure what this is. i think it's also related to the
drawing functions, since i've never seen anything else do it.

also, for your info. python's garbage collector is different from java.
it doesn't hang on to objects and then free them all in a big garbage
collection sweep. python objects are freed as soon as they are
unreferenced. so in python there's no hangs or freezes like that for
garbage collection. :]

> Surface is not a high-level object - I have to disclaim that I'm not that
> experienced in python. The problem is that I can't derivate a class from a
> Surface, which is a shame. If you check the program I'm working on:

this is correct. the Surface objects are builtin python types. if this
is really a problem for you, it is all being fixed in python-2.2 (due
decemeber, but beta is out now). python-2.2 "fixes" the differences
between python classes and python types.

for the most part though, this hasn't been a problem in any game
development. most designs use "has-a" surface, instead of "is-a" surface.

still, sucks to see those bugs with the polygon drawing. for now all i
can recommend is "don't do it like that". i'll try to figure out exactly
why it happens.