[pygame] rotating problem

I want to rotate a surface in-place clipping anything that would be
outside the original rect and keeping the original colorkey and so forth.
I think this will make a 'rolling stone' sprite work the way I want.
Currently if I try to rotate the stone as it moves it gets the effect of
bouncing which is not what I want. This happens even if I center. The
original image is dead center and perfectly round so it isn't the image
causing the bounce effect. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.