Re: [pygame] physics basics?

Michal Wallace <sabren@manifestation.com> writes:

> Well, in this case the code explicitly says that if you're
> past the wall or past the floor, set it back, so it wouldn't
> happen...

I'm sure you can make this approach fly if you pay attention to the
details.  But naive approaches can go wrong.

> I'm sure things get more complicated as you add
> more shapes, but I don't really understand why the problem
> is inherent in the approach. Wouldn't you deal with the same
> issues even if you used an equation to model the path?

Less so.  The roundoff errors shouldn't build up in the same way that
a stepping solution can suffer.

> Can you give me another example of this kind of problem?

Not really.  A large part of it is a pure mathematician's dislike of
numerical solutions...

Cheers,
M.

--
  Monte Carlo sampling is no way to understand code.
                                  -- Gordon McMillan, comp.lang.python