Re: [pygame] makeing fluider character animations

mrfaro@libero.it wrote:
>>For my animations, so that I don't need to do more
>>frames, I'm drawing the current frame, and the
>>previous frame with different alpha values.  I might
>>try the current frame and the future frame, not sure.
>>
>>Hopefully that will make the transitions between
>>frames less jerky.

i'm not sure if the alpha blending will look smoother, but it may make for
a cool special effect, for when the player gets some sort of "speed powerup"?

with only 3 frames you'll be pretty tight for getting smooth animation.
this biggest thing you can work is the timing for the animation. in fact
each frame might have different timings.

if 3 frames is your limit, then create a simpler character. with a very
simple character you could get away with a 2 frame walk cycle (well at
least older games used to get away with it).

for 3 frames you should probably have one 'middle' frame where the
character is standing pretty straight. then one frame for each leg forward.
you can reuse the standing frame in the animation cycle to get 4 frames of
animation.

again, if you have a simple character, and you can't really tell which leg
is which from the side, you can create a standing frame, one fully extended
walk, and one in between, by cycling back and forth over this it would
appear to be 8 frames of animation. again, timing would be important.