Re: [pygame] 3D performance?

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 09:10  AM, wyoon@panix.com wrote:

> I know that pygame is being primarily used right now for 2D
> sprite-based games, but what kind of 3D performance can I expect from
> it? Would it
> be possible to produce an engine on the level of certain older 3D
> games, such as Quake2 or Shogo?

In this case the primary use of pygame for graphics would be to open an
OpenGL window.  To use OpenGL, you'd use PyOpenGL or write Python C
extensions that call OpenGL directly. In other words, pygame itself
would have little influence on the performance of your 3D program. Use
of Python itself or calling OpenGL through PyOpenGL might, although for
simple scenes on recent hardware, I doubt you'd have any performance
problems. When using Pygame to open an OpenGL window, pygame is still
useful for event handling, sound, etc.