Re: [pygame] quadtrees

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 05:08 am, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> > Has anyone ever implemented quadtrees in Python?
>
> Just a thought (relating to the recent discussion about NN-queries in
> 2d): By using a Voronoi tesselation and a point location algorithm you
> can get a structure where you can add a point in O(log n) time and
> search for the nearest neighbor of a query point also in O(log n)
> time. (Similar stuff can be done with Delaunay triangulations, for
> example by temporarily adding the query point to the triangulation.)

I am afraid I do not understand what you are saying, I do not have
enough background knowledge: I have never heard of "Voronoi tesselation"
or "Delaunay triangulations" and don't know what "NN-queries" are, but
this does give me some more terms to Google for.

> In case there are others here interested in general proximity search,
> I found the mention of the use of Delaunay triangulations in the
> following paper, which is very good, IMO:
>
>   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/avez99searching.html

OK, I will read this one. Thanks for the link!

> (I haven't found any descriptions of the Delaunay NN-search algorithm
> online, though, other than the approach of adding the query to the
> triangulation.)

Thanks for the answer!

Gerrit.

--
172. If her husband made her no gift, she shall be compensated for her
gift, and she shall receive a portion from the estate of her husband,