Re: [pygame] Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:05:02 +0200, Jack Nutting <jn_list@rebisoft.com> wrote:
> I think this seems like a very interesting idea, and I'd surely
> consider distributing my games this way.  The only potential problem I
> see is with library versioning.  For example, it seems that if I were
> currently working with a prerelease pygame 1.7, then my pyg wouldn't
> work with this;  conversely, whenever your pyglauncher goes over to
> pygame 1.7, older pygame 1.6 pyg files won't work.  Or am I missing
> something?

The .pygs aren't any more version dependant than your standard Python
files. So if Pygame 1.7 breaks backwards compatibility so that normal
python scripts programmed for 1.6 break, then 1.6 pygs will break too
if 1.7 is updated to the launcher.

I see it as one of the benefits of the launcher, that you will always
know what library versions your users will have, so you are able to
test your game using the same exact versions (by using the launcher).
It is one of my TODOs to include the launcher version in the .pyg
file, so the program can inform users when they need to upgrade to a
newer launcher. Generally, the Python extensions in question break
backwards compatibility very rarely, so it is only a problem if you
want to use the very latest features.

I think that as a common platform, the launcher will benefit the most
if the extension versions are locked into the latest versions when 1.0
final comes out. After that, the extension versions should be changed
only in major releases of the launcher, IMHO. This way the
compatilibity features of the launcher might make it a useful software
even for those who already have Python et al installed, so they don't
have to worry about library versions.

I hope I'm making some sense. It's morning over here and I'm still
half asleep. :)

--
Sami Hangaslammi