[pygame] Images V Sprites

Last question for the night (it's far too late).

As a little exercise I'm going to create a small breakout clone.

I was wondering what the best approach would be for the blocks; would it be a collection of images or sprites?

I'd have thought for speed issues (and memory), the images would be far better, but I haven't seen any details regarding collisions between sprites and images. (BTW: talking of docs, nice work on the docs update Peter).

I appreciate that for a breakout clone that there wouldn't be that many blocks anyway, so you could "get away" with using sprites, but for example having 3 balls bouncing around, say some nifty little special effects like explosions etc, that all those sprites would gobble up much needed resources.

Any thoughts on this?