[pygame] ?scroll a section of the background?

Pygame newbe here and I must be missing something.  I need to scroll a section of the screen at each update.  I had hoped I could achieve this with Rect.move(), but you already know that didn't work.  If you think you might be able to help, please read on.

I am undating a row of pixels each frame.  I'd like to move the history of such rows up a pixel in order to make room for the new data.  Something like this ...

while running:
    new_row = getColoredLine()
    move_history_up_one_line()
    drawColeredLine(new_row)