[pygame] Hopefully relevant: Kamaelia 0.5.0 Released

Hi,

Since Kamaelia has a supports Pygame based components and PyOpenGL based
components, I thought it might be nice to make a mention of our latest
release here. Ryan (a summer of code student who contributed a significant
chunk to the release), has written an announcement on his blog which is
probably better than any description I'd come up with:

   * http://rjlsoc.blogspot.com/2006/09/kamaelia-050-released.html

Over the past summer Open GL support (and support for putting our pygame based
components onto 3D surfaces as interactive textures) was implemented as part
of summer of code. Thomas blogged about his work (with pictures) which you
can see here:
   * http://thfsoc.blogspot.com/

This makes doing this like playing back video onto a pygame surface mapped
onto a spinning 3D surface relatively easy:
   * Screen shot: http://tinyurl.com/rnytv
   * Code: http://tinyurl.com/oynxv

Kamaelia comes from a mainly networked viewpoint, so we have an events
backplane which is used by a collaborative whiteboard. The front end for the
whiteboard is a simple paint program which uses pygame; the audio portion
uses pyspeex so you can chat to other people using the whiteboard; and the
networked portion enables whiteboards to be both clients and servers
trivially, allow you to daisy chain them together. (This whiteboard is
probably the most complex example included in the system)

(This whiteboard is the focus of a Linux Format tutorial due out later this
month BTW, which is a credit to Pygame IMO)

Other tools we've got in Kamaelia's distribution that rely on pygame include
the visual editor referenced in Ryan's blog announcement above (which also
uses TK), a visualiser and presentation tools.

So now hopefully it's clear why I think it's relevant to this list - at
minimum it's just nice to say "pygame rocks, thank you, look what you made
possible", and it's also nice to say "here, take this back, enjoy :)".

Kamaelia download: http://tinyurl.com/lfhxq
    (bundle includes all dependencies under linux)

What is Kamaelia? An updating of unix pipelines, where you're not forced to be
multiprocess, but can be multithreaded if you want (but generally things are
generator based), and where rather than file like data you can send arbitrary
python objects, and you're able to form arbitrary graphs rather than just
pipelines. In short, it makes software into something like Lego or K'Nex.

One of the examples is a simple game targetted at small children :-)

Have fun & thanks for pygame :)

Michael.
--
Michael Sparks, Kamaelia Project Lead,