Re: [pygame] pygame performance

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
I'm not into 3D yet either. But I really don't like slow rendering speeds on 2D games. Blitz has an incredible fast 2D rendering speed but the language is basic and I don't like basic!

Most of the rendering work in 2D is blitting, which in pygame is done by C code inside SDL. So unless you're doing a lot of data crunching before you get around to blitting anything, the speed of executing Python code vs. Basic code will have very little to do with it.

If Blitz renders a lot faster than pygame, it must be because
it's using a much more efficient method of blitting than SDL
does. That would be surprising, since I'd expect SDL's blitting
code to be fairly well optimised.

It's possible that Blitz is smarter about making use of
hardware acceleration when it's available. Reportedly
SDL will use hardware to do blitting under favourable
circumstances, but I don't know what those circumstances
are.

--
Greg