Re: [pygame] PyODE

Ryan Charpentier wrote:

Now however i'm noticing that my boxes get stuck together if the speed is too great. If I accelerate my square really quickly it'll even pass straight through. I've had this happen when I was using rects with pygame, but I assumed ode handled this problem.

Unfortunately, ODE doesn't handle the passing-through problem. It only checks for collisions statically at each time step; if an object's velocity is too great, it can jump right past another object without colliding with it. The only things you can do about it are limit your objects' velocities or take smaller time steps.

Not sure what you mean by things getting "stuck together".
If you mean that one object can partially penetrate another
before it stops, that's just another manifestation of the
same problem.

A more sophisticated simulator would detect when one object's
trajectory intersects another and automatically subdivide the
time interval, but ODE is not that smart.

--
Greg