[pygame] Portraying Height In 2D

A graphical question: is there a good way of portraying an environment with height using 2D graphics without permanently obscuring the background? It seems to me the alternatives are to either use full 3D, ie. OpenGL, and lose Pygame's convenient text-drawing and other features; use isometrics and have to convert everything to iso-coordinates; or use the traditional "3/4 overhead" view seen in games like Final Fantasy I-VI and have high-up areas represented in a way that's hard to distinguish from "north."

The best example of the 3/4 overhead perspective I've seen is _Seiken Densetsu 3_ (Secret of Mana 2), shown here:
http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=17&page=62
(That's part of a great pixel-art tutorial, by the way.)

What do you think is the best graphical method for a game with non-tile-based movement, in any 360-degree direction along a plane and to some extent vertically, when there are underwater areas and mountains? I'd like it to look 3D and have implemented basic 360-degree movement physics, but am using a dummy graphics engine at the moment.

Kris