Re: [pygame] Introduction + call to join project for creating game frameworks

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:03:29PM +1000, Miriam English wrote:
> Ignore the cute comments about people decrying "programming without
> programming". I doubt those people still program by loading memory
> locations with binary numbers of assembly codes (like I used to) -- they
> take the "easy" way out, and of course it can't be programming if it is
> easy. :)
He-he, I was thinking the same :-)

> I applaud your efforts to lure kids into programming this way, and more
> importantly raising their sights to do stuff that helps change the world
> for the better.
Indeed, what can I say?

> You might want to look at RenPy
> http://renpy.org
> It is a python framework for creating so-called visual novels or Ren'ai
> (Japanese for "romance") stories. Renpy is very easy to use, though it
> isn't point-and-click. My 10-year-old niece is working on a story she's
> creating in renpy. The easiest way to use renpy is to pull apart the two
> examples that come with it.
I've got an 11-year-old niece who's seriously into Manga comics and
DVDs, Ren'Py looks like it might be right up her street. I think she
might be intrigued enough, after seeing what can be made, to play around
with it herself - with my help, if required. Thanks very much for
bringing this project and its stories to my attention.

> Most ren'ai stories deal with personal relationships rather than action
> oriented killing games and perhaps because of that quite a lot of women
> and girls are involved, both as audience and creators.
Good stories can grab attention and work their way into you like nothing
else. My niece enjoys a good 'blasting' game for a while, but from my
'shoulder surfing' of what interests and affects her emotionally, I
think I might be able to get her involved.

I can safely use a word I've never used seriously before - Awesome!

cheers,
John.