[pygame] gui toolkits that really work for a noob

so i've been checking out some different toolkits for my program and I've really like pgu and pyui. But I'm have a problem import a pygame surface to draw on into a custom widget. I'm copying the from the examples but I don't understand a damn thing I'm doing (esp. gui9.py with the menubar and custom painter widget) and I keep getting errors from pyui. even the example source code.

so, help please. Or if you have an easier gui toolkit that works well with pygame.

thanks in advance.

-Eric