Re: [pygame] recommendation for a good n00b IDE

Eric IDE has been available on windows for free since the licensing change of the underlying Py/Qt framework. I'm not sure it fits the minimalist bill though.

If you truly are new to python then you may not be aware of IPython, an extended python shell, part of a lot of people's "integrated development environments".

For a great tour see:  http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=CnluURUTV

I personally like Wing IDE, the developers offer a free "stripped down" version that may suit your needs.

http://www.wingware.com/wingide-101/index