Re: [pygame] Pygame and Python 3.0 (3000)

On, Wed Oct 08, 2008, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

> The time consuming part will be the the Pygame extension modules. The C
> api will change with Python 3.0. It looks like major modifications here
> for every module. And unlike the Python code I know of no automatic tool
> to help out. Most changes are not backward compatible. Module state
> moves to a dynamically allocated structure. And of course there is
> Unicode again. All string handling code will have to be modified, more
> encodings and decodings.

If the C API changes a lot, we will have to manage both, a 2.x pygame
branch and a 3.x branch. Luckily I won't have a look at 3.0 before
it's officially released, I think :-).

However, the last glance I took at it showed only some minor differences
(PyBuffer*, initialisation/finalisation and some other things), so it
probably won't be a big deal.

Regards
Marcus