Re: [pygame] draw.line bounding box bug when width>1

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Aaron Brady <castironpi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Luke Paireepinart
<rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Aaron Brady <castironpi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> New to the list.
>> I have a bug!  Nice 'n' easy repro steps below.
>
> Just FYI,
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id382249

Ah I see.  Too informal and hasty.  For the record, I like these parts
of this link:

"...claim you have found a bug, you'll be impugning their competence,
which may offend..."

and

"...it is best to write as though you assume you are doing something
wrong, even if you are privately pretty sure..."

Is it appropriate to share what I'm pleased with?

Adrian,
Yes, that article is quite good and you'll see it linked on technical mailing lists a lot.  I recommend reading the whole article if you have time.  It's by Eric Raymond, which many people have differing opinions on, but most people seem to agree that that particular article sums up technical fora's etiquette quite well.

As far as what's appropriate, I don't know.  I didn't find anything offensive about your post, but then again I'm not a core Pygame developer.  They're pretty cool guys though, and your post was probably not offensive to anyone, which is why I said "FYI" not "RTFM", so you'd know that in some situations a bug report can be misconstrued :)  In general it's better to err on the side of politeness when you're first approaching a new group and only moving to more familiar terminology once you've been on the list for a while and you've got a good feeling for how everyone talks to each other.  I don't know how long you've been on this particular list though, just some general advice.

> This bug was already addressed in a DOC post in 2005,
> http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/draw.html#pygame.draw.line
> I'm not really sure why no one included the patch.

I attempted 'inflate', but didn't account for the width.  I just tried
a range of constants.
So does it work with that code or are there still errors?  Perhaps that's why it hasn't been patched (because the example code doesn't work in all situations).  If you look at the source for the method and you see where the calculation error is occurring, you could submit a diff patch or maybe upload a revision to SVN or something.  Then you can say you contributed to an open-source project on your resume :)