Re: [pygame] Distro for Beagle board

Have you considered Puppy Linux?
:) Kindof appropriate having a Beagle Puppy. heheh

I've been using Puppy on my machines for some years now and it has come a long way. The latest, Puppy4.3.1, is the prettiest and easiest to use so far. The standard distro is tiny -- 100MB in size, and comes with a lot of stuff built-in, but not python as far as I remember. If you install the devx file for Puppy4.3.1 you get python and all the development sources, headers, etc to compile against. Installing pygame should be simple. It is a long while since I did that though.

Puppy will boot straight from live CD, loading entirely into RAM and releasing your CD drive for other uses. Or you can run it from USB drive. It has some drive-saving features, like caching writes so as not to shorten the flash drive's life unnecessarily. Or you can install it on a hard drive and run it like any standard OS (what I usually do).

Puppy is very fast, with a very small footprint, but I also use it on one of my machines for running 3D modelling stuff like Blender, sound editing, etc. It is also the only live Linux distro that I know of that is able to play almost any multimedia immediately.

Puppy has some drawbacks, mainly resulting from cutting back on extra things not often used. Also, in an attempt to be as user-friendly as possible the user logs in as root. This scares a lot of die-hard Linux users as a possible security problem, but in practice it is fairly safe, and it isn't hard set up the default login as a less priveleged user.

The main site:
http://www.puppylinux.com/

The most active forum:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

Ibiblio, where the distros and packages are:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
but you'll want:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/
and the packages (pet files):
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/

You can create your own version of Puppy with python and pygame already in there using "woof" (I'm not kidding, it really is called that). If you want to create a Puppy specifically for the ARM processor, woof might do that too. I can't help there as I haven't used woof, but there are a lot of people in the Puppy forum who I'm sure would be delighted to help.

Read about woof here:
http://puppylinux.com/woof/

Cheers,

	- Miriam

PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi
We want to migrate our application to BeagleBoard : http://beagleboard.org/

In your opinion, wich distro would offer best support for Pygame ?

Thank you

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
 - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory